Saturday, August 28, 2010

I survived the first week!!

I survived the first week of first grade. I came home exhausted the first day, but it was definitely worth it. My class had fun making our school buses out of zingers and gummy life savers and playing with our magic play dough. We even did our first journal entry on Friday. I was so tired by Friday, but you forget how tired you are when five of them come running up to you with the biggest smiles on their faces.
Grandpa and Grandma Jones donated 30 beanie babies to my classroom. My first graders get so excited to use them. One of their fast finisher things they can do is choose a beanie baby to read to. They love this. They pick a book out of my library, and position the beanie baby on their lap, (they have to make sure the beanie baby can see the book, of course!!) and they read to them. It is so cute to see how they get so excited about books! I was so fortunate to have my grandma and grandpa donate those to my classroom. They came in last year to my fourth graders and brought them all a beanie baby. My fourth graders ended up calling my grandpa, Grandpa Beanie Baby the whole year. They loved my grandparents!

I get to end my perfect day coming home to my dog Jeter. It is sad because he is in his kennel all day. He is the kind of dog that loves being outside, so we try to take him places in the evenings so he can get his energy out. He is definitely a dog that needs lots of attention.


4 comments:

  1. I've been thinking about getting rid of some of our kid books. Maybe I'll donate some of them to your class library. I'll talk to you about it at B's wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that is so cute about the beanie babies. What sweet grandparents. And I love that you and tyson have a cute puppy. I love coming home to my two pups! They always make me smile. I'm glad you are doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So exciting Lohren!! My mom did that with Grandpa's beenies too, and she said the same thing, that the kids just LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is the cutest thing I've ever heard, first graders reading to beanie babies! LOVE IT you're an awesome teacher!

    ReplyDelete